Sunday, August 24, 2008

Marriage in Real Life

I was hopping around the blogoshpere and came across a few blogs referencing Marriage in Real Life. Basically, you were challenged to write about what marriage is really like. I can't remember or find where I found this, or I would add it's link. Then, on Sunday, in the 'For Better or Worse' sunday cartoon, two of the characters are getting married. I am going to plagarize some of it because I thought it really captured the essence of what I wanted to say. Anyway, here's my take:
Marriage in Real Life
Marriage is a lifetime commitment, one that requires you make that promise over and over and over again. Somedays it's much easier to do than others.
Marriage is a challenge. But too, it is love. Marriage is patience, like when those cute little habits that you fell in love with become the annoying habits of everyday life that seem to magnify with the passing years. With patience, you can deal with it and many times, find the humor in your situation.
Marriage is giving and caring. The giving part is really essential. So many times, you give without knowing what the return will be for you. You have faith in your partner and in your relationship. Sometimes you just keep going because there is no alternative. When you're first married, the caring part comes so naturally. But, as children enter the picture and the years advance, and problems and worldly things enter in, the caring part sometimes becomes hard to remember. Or at the very least, takes second place to the mundane work of everyday life. That's when you need to make that commitment again (and sometimes again, and again and again!).
Marriage is honesty and speaking the truth with a loving heart. It requires openness and being thoughtful of one another.
Marriage is the knowing that your understanding of one another will lead to a greater understanding of yourself. I truly believe that while I would be okay by myself, I am a much greater person with David by my side.
Marriage is friendship. Sometimes, that friendship is what can carry you through some rough times. I am proud to say David is my best friend.
Marriage is respect. I do find this difficult at times. Respecting another person that you live with and know so intimately is hard when the times are rough and it's much easier to strike out against them so that you're not the first or only one being hurt.
Marriage is the willingness to accept your partner's qualities and differences, weak and strong. My favorite quality about David is how he can make me laugh and our differences can make life exciting (boy, can they!).
Marriage is a promise made and a lasting successful caring marriage is a promise kept again and again and again.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I'm so upset that "For Better Or For Worse" is ending :( I loved that comic strip...boo hoo waa waa. Lynn Johnson did a great job portraying a real life family, I will miss looking for it in the Sunday paper.