Friday, October 10, 2008

10/10/1998

Yikes! It was ten years ago today that David & I were married. It was a day much like today, sunny and beautiful weather. I was up early that morning, very excited to get going. I remember how much fun my sisters, my friend DeeDee and I had getting dressed at our house. I rode to the church in my oldest sister's van, with her window down and Sue honking and yelling "Hey, see the bride? She's getting married today!" to everyone who walked by.
I remember waiting at the back of the church with my Dad, being totally overwhelmed at starting my married life. Excited, nervous, happy, and sure of my intent, all at the same time. My sister,Rita, kept telling me to smile, trying to get me to laugh, not to be too tearful. But, I just couldn't help all the emotion pouring out my eyes.
I remember David and the tears in his eyes when I walked down the aisle. That day was the most beautiful I have ever felt. (And yes, dear, they were tears, not dust that miraculously got in your eyes!)
I remember seeing David, in his tux, looking all handsome, at the front of the church and knowing that this was absolutely the right move for us. This was the man I was about to marry.
I remember getting very teary again when reciting my vows, meaning them with all my heart and soul and thanking God for this man by my side.
I remember not being able to look at David without tears and trying to look somewhere else to regain my composure. So, I looked at our best man, David's Dad, who was no help at all because he was crying more than me. So I looked at Grandpa in the pew. He wasn't any better. And, I remember being so touched that these men felt emotion in such a powerful way.
I remember looking out at the church when we lit our unity candle. Seeing all our friends and relatives in church, being unbelievable grateful that we were blessed by so many.
I remember walking into the reception and seeing the beautiful room, all soft and glowing with little white twinkling lights. And then spying the delicious chocolate covered strawberries. It was all gorgeous.
I remember a really fun night of dancing and greeting everyone who was at the reception. A grand march full of a bridal party in Badger hats. Well, it was homecoming at the UW that weekend.
And, I remember driving away with a car that was 'decorated' by our wedding party and friends (you know who you are, and so do I!) The pumpkins on the back tires were a nice touch, even if a bit messy.
Ten years, two children, nad too many grey hairs between us to count. And, you know what? I have no regrets and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I love you David.
Anne

1 comment:

Misty said...

Anne, What a beautiful recollection of your wedding day. I feel like I was right there. Dave is a lucky man; but I'm sure he knows that. See you soon! Misty