I teach 4th Grade Sunday school and I love it.
The kids are fun, they can read well and they are beginning to understand some of the deeper meanings behind the stories in the Bible. But they're still not too cool to do some great projects.
We have lots of fun on Sundays.
This last week, though, something happened that has stayed with me all week long.
We were discussing John 3:1-16. Of course, everyone knows John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him will not die but have eternal life." Or something like that, I may have paraphrased a little. :)
We were all done with the lesson when one little boy turned and asked me "Mrs. L, would you sacrafice YOUR son if it was the only way to save the world?"
I was absolutely flummoxed. I opened and shut my mouth a couple times but nothing came out. Multitudes of thoughts raced through my head in about two seconds flat.
I look over and my boy, my lovely boy (who is in my class) was looking up at me with big wide eyes. "Would you let me die, Mama?"
Gulp.
What an incredible question. I really wanted my heart to say "Of course I would follow God's direction." But my heart was tugged by looking at this boy, this being that lived and grew inside me for 9 1/2 months, this little one that I would give my life for in a heartbeat. I would die for him, but if God asked, would I sacrafice him?
I still don't know my answer. But this question has definitely given me pause and made me reflect on what obedience really means. It made me keenly aware of what an incredible sacrafice it was for God to give His only Son. I can only imagine what that cost Him.
So, you know that Sunday School lesson? This time, I was the student.
Easy Gingerbread House | Cooking with my kid
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment