In my quest to find at least one exercise that I might possibly like doing, I've now taken a few Zumba classes. And, I think I've found an instructor I like. And, it's not the skinny minny Russian woman who yells at everyone 'come on, come on..keep up..it's not so hard!' Errrrrrrrrrgggh.
Zumba is rather fun but you really have to get over yourself. My class yesterday went something like this:
I was the second largest woman in the room. The largest was an older black woman. I think she was about 5 feet tall but significantly heavier than me. But, holy crap, she could move! She wasn't bouncing but that woman had more rhythm in her big toe than I think I have in my whole body! She even did some hip pops. Impressive.
There were 2 brave older men in our class. What a trip! They weren't the fastest but they kept up better than I did. It is humbling to be outdone by senior citizens. Truly. I don't really like it but I gotta give them their props.
The class started out slow, thank goodness. I felt tight and uncoordinated. About 1/3 of the way through the class, I was sweating buckets. I caught a look at myself in the mirrored walls. Oh yes, did I mention that every single wall is floor to ceiling, mirrors. Every. single. one. Why would someone do that??????
Oh my, it was quite a sight. Hair flying every which way (I'm now 2 hair appts behind), cheeks bright red, a bra that obviously was not meant to contain these bad girls when zhumba-ing (sorry Ross!), and a grimace that would easily frighten a small child. Not to mention the sweat soaked t-shirt.
At first, I did wonder who the heck the witchy-looking woman was in the mirror until I realized she was dressed just like me, then my next thought was...Oh no, that witch is me!!!
I figured I had 2 choices. Continue to look like this or make a change. I decided...Screw it. I may not be able to keep up totally, but I'm gonna rock it like no other 43 yr old, grey roots showing, sweat pouring out everywhere, overweight white woman can! I whooped and hollered, clapped, got a couple laughs out of the instructor and a 'You go, girl!' from one of the men which cracked me up even more.
I'm thinking that the other participants didn't quite know what to make of me. But I had a lot of fun and I'll do it again. On second thought, I don't think many of them noticed anything cause I sorta hid in the back of the room as much as I could. I mean, come on, I'll have fun but I don't want to put on a free show.
The class ended, I staggered to the water fountain and slowly, slowly made my way down the stairs and out of the gym.
I will take another Zumba class.
After I get some feeling back in my thighs.
Then, zumba, here I come!
Easy Gingerbread House | Cooking with my kid
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment