Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Lesson and A Wish

Once upon a time, S had a favorite jacket. It was a Wisconsin jacket and he loved it so. It was a link back to his beloved state, his favorite neighbor had given him the jacket and he loved wearing it.  Oh woe was the day when he reallized that his beloved coat was lost.  Much moping around occurred for a few months when this was discovered and there were perhaps a word or two from Mom about being responsible for his own stuff and keeping track of things. And by word or two, I mean lecture (he'd say scolding). Ahem.  But, I digress.

S wore his winter coat as the weather got colder but still missed his Wisconsin jacket. He would sigh as he put his coat on and I knew he was remembering his old coat/friend. He missed his Wisconsin jacket every day. Poor S!

Imagine his surprise when we went to the first Cub Scout pack meeting, walked into the Church gym and lo and behold.....we spied THE jacket.  Grins abounded, his step lightened and I swear he saw a golden beam of light and angels singing. After checking the pockets and finding some of his beloved stash/junk...er, I mean stuff....we concluded that is was indeed the long lost Beloved.  Oh joy of joys!!!!

On the way home after the meeting, as S is all snuggled up in his new/old jacket (and yes, he still had the coat he wore to the meeting next to him) I asked him if he had learned anything through all of this.
"Oh yes, definitely!" he beamed.
"Oh, thank heavens" I thought to myself excitedly, "I wished he would have learned his lesson and he has!"
"I learned," he continued, "that if you're going to lose something, lost it at church 'cause they'll be honest and save your jacket for you!"
My mouth dropped open, and few seconds, I was speechless. Then I chuckled. Sometimes, I need to be more careful what I wish for.

No comments: