Saturday, May 8, 2010

Growing Pains

I was at school yesterday to work in S's classroom and to deliver the cupcakes I spent hours decorating. Once our centers of learning were complete, S came over to whisper in my ear.
"Mama, could you please not stay for lunch today? It just, well, is sorta embarassing to me."
"What???" I heard myself gasp, as a sharp pain shot through my breaking heart. As the other part of my brain was thinking "you must not have heard him correctly".
"Well, you're my Mom and it's kinda not great to have you here for lunch" he said.
"Really? But I always come to school to eat lunch with you on your birthday. It's our tradition," I stammered, bravely trying not to look too shocked, too sad, too teary.
He looked down at the ground, glanced back up at me, looked at me with his big blue eyes and whispered once more, "Please?"
"OK," I said, being brave, "I don't have to come back for lunch."
"But," I said as I tried not to grab him and hug him, "do you still want me to drop off  McDonald's for lunch?"
"Oh" he said, "If you're bringing McDonald's, you can come and sit by me. That's perfectly fine."

Nice to know that me and Ronald McDonald rate right next to each other.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Phew...saved by Mc D's!