Thursday, February 19, 2009

Is Company coming?

The other night, after the kids went to bed and because the hubster was gone to a work dinner, I spent a good chunk of time cleaning my kitchen counters. Let me tell you, it was long overdue. And, I cleaned everything off the front of my refrigerator and put away/threw away/put back where it belonged, everything else.And, I spotlessly cleaned all the surfaces too. I'm telling you, my kitchen hasn't looked this good since the last owners owned this house, seriously!
Wolfgang and Princess came down in the morning. The conversation went something like this:
Wolfgang:OOOOOOoooooo, look at that. The kitchen is very clean. Thanks Mama!
Anne: Your welcome, Wolfgang. Doesn't it look nice? (feeling very proud of myself, I must add)
Wolfgang: Yep, almost as good as Quin's house. (Anne's little pride bubble bursts)
Princess: Wow, Mama, what happened to our house? There's so much room. And, I never knew the refrigerator looked like that! Is that really the color it is? Is it new? (she has never seen the refrigerator completely empty of pictures and, shall I say it, yep, crap!)
Anne: No, honey, it's not new, just clean.
Princess: Did we get cleaning people?
Anne: Nope, just Mama.
Princess: Hmmm, okay then.
Wolfgang: Well, I like it.
Anne: Good, I'm happy to hear that because we all need to work together to keep it looking nice.
Wolfgang: Well, I'm not sure I like it THAT much!
Now, move back to when the hubster got home at night.
Hubster:Hey, did you have your lady friends over today? The house is clean.
Anne: (feeling disgruntled because apparently the only time everyone thinks I clean is when company is coming. oh wait, that usually is the reason. but still...) Thanks, I just did it for our family and it was A LOT of work. (I almost added a deep sigh and the back of my hand against my forehead for good measure, but I held myself back)
At this point, Hubster took the hint and just complimented the house and then changed the subject. Smart man.

2 comments:

Renee said...

I had to laugh at this, because it is so true!!

Trisha said...

LOVE it!! I am impressed they noticed and said Thanks! Have a great weekend with your clean counters!