S is a saver. Of money. Really, the boy gets his allowance, it goes into his ATM bank and he carefully keeps track of every penny he has. He is always trying to save up enough to exchange his changes (bills & coins) so he can get a $20 bill in return. (I may have, on occasion, had to borrow some cash from him because I was running low, ahem.)
S walks, a lot of the time, with his head down, scanning, looking, hunting, to find the spare penny, nickel, or if he's really lucky, quarter on the floor, parking lot, sidewalk. He is usually successful. (And then he likes to rub C's nose in it).
I have always thought that the saving habit was a nice trait that he has.
Until, that is, until today.
S had a doctor's appointment and afterward, since we were so close to the bread store, we stopped in to buy a few loaves before I dropped him off at school. I thought he might like to go with me because I knew that there are various treats at the bread store. Like hostess cupcakes and zingers. Yummmm! I thought a little treat before school would be fun for him (and perhaps rate me in the Cool Mom category. Yeah, I will so pay for this vanity later).
So, in we go. He's fascinated by the little store, even considering that it's 80% bread. We find the bread we need, and after perusing the various treats, he picks out a single Hostess cupcake. Suddenly, he drops to the floor, gets on his hands and knees and sticks one side of his head down on the floor. I mean, one whole side of his face is plastered to the floor (eeeuuuuu) and I can't tell what the heck he's doing.
"WHAT are you doing?????" I asked (I prefer to think that I asked this rather quietly and calmly, apparently not as quietly as I thought as the other 2 customers in the store were now staring at the two of us rather strangely).
Now, at this point, he is laying on his stomach, crawling commando style, underneath the shelves (and all I can picture is the amount of dirt on the floor) and I hiss "S, get up!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? GET OFF THAT FLOOR!!! Dignity is going fast because the 2 other customers are now looking anywhere BUT at the Floor Crawling/Cleaning boy & his Mom. I smile weakly at them and kinda shrug my shoulders.
"S, get off that floor this instant!!" I command, holding back because I soooo wanted to stamp my foot along with it too.
"Mama, I'm almost done" S says. "I'm just looking to see if there's any change under there" S replies.
Seriously??!!
All was well, however. S found a penny and declared it 'totally worth it'.
Heaven help me if he keeps this up.
Easy Gingerbread House | Cooking with my kid
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment