Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why Measuring is Important

I had the dreaded/delicious Amish bread here. So, every ten days, I made a couple loaves. I got tired of that quickly, as although it was yummy, it was not so good for us here. By we, I mean me, and my waistline, or hips. Take your pick.
Anyway, I attempted to make a large double batch to use up what I had left of my dough. I was quickly measuring and mixing and flying through the prep, talking with the kids, helping with homework, tripping over the dog, answering the phone, etc. etc. In general, I thought I was paying close attention to what I was doing.
I put the dough in the pans, put it in the oven and a while after it was baking, it smelled really, really good in the house. "MMMmmm" I thought smugly.
Shortly thereafter, it smelled really, really burnt in the house. I opened the oven and this is what I saw:


















A large goober of dough overflowed the pan(s) and landed on the bottom of the oven. I had never had that happen before. I happened to glance over at the dirty measuring utensils and saw that instead of 1/2 tsp baking soda and baking powder, I used 1 1/2 tbsp. Oops!
This is how the first 2 loaves turned out:

Not too bad, just a little funny in the middle.
This is how the last 2 loaves turned out:
But, they tasted good even if they looked like they had massive belly buttons that reached to the bottom of the pan.
Moral: Read recipe and check measurements BEFORE baking.
Lesson learned.

No comments: