Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer's in Full Swing

Only 2 weeks into summer and it's been a whirlwind. We've been strawberry picking, bike riding, bowling, numerous library trips, tennis lessons, fencing, prepping for VBS, we're halfway through Camp Invention this week and preparing for camping next week. Oh, and we're trying to get the van fixed from my stupid-a** rear ending accident late last week. But, that's a story for another day.
I got awoken this morning with a tap on my shoulder at 5 am. 
"Mama?" C asked
"Hnmmgph?" was my incoherent reply.
"I just threw up"
There's just nothing that gets the blood pumping and me outta bed faster than those 4 words. I mean, you'd think I had the energy of a 20 yr old the way I bounded after her.
"Where?" I asked.
"In the potty" C said, "but my tummy still hurts".
Off we went to clean up and comfort. Needless to say, she's home from Camp Invention today. She's doing quite well but since there was an upset tummy involved, she's resting up.
Whether she wants to or not.
But what I realized this morning, as I was snuggling with the puker (although not too close and with my Lysol and hand sanitizer close by), is that in our hustle and bustle of the summer, it's so easy to lose track of what's happening at the moment. I am constantly planning ahead and checking the calendar and making sure everything will, hopefully, run smoothly, that I sometimes forget to appreciate what's right in front of me.  And, frankly, sometimes it's just much easier to keep looking forward and not down at the mess that's right in front of me.
But, in reality, that mess is my mess. It's there because we made forts in the living room, crafts in the kitchen and played in the sandbox. It's there because we made jam and chocolate chip cookies and snack mix. It's papers from Camp Invention and the library reading program. It's evidence of our lives being lived.
So, my goal for the rest of the summer? Well, the planning will continue, I can't change THAT much. But I'll also take some time to really look at what's happening and appreciating my life right at this moment. Because, frankly, it's pretty darned good. Even with the upchuck.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

What a great post, Anne. I'm trying to do a better job of that, too. As you read in my post, my life is chaos right now with all the remodeling, which in the past would have had me going bonkers, but I'm learning from experience that the mess gets cleaned up eventually, so why ruin today by getting all crazy about it? Moments with our kids fly by too quickly. So glad you found me through Julie. And so glad I found you!