Yesterday afternoon, my doorbell rang. I went to answer and saw 2 cute girls outside. They were about 13 or so. One was holding a box of candy bars and said "Would you like to buy a candy bar? I'm selling them to help pay for my Washington DC trip in the Spring." The girls were just too cute.
"Just a minute, I'll be right back" I said.
I went into the house and grabbed a dollar. Went back to the door and asked the girl "Which candy bar is your favorite?"
She looked and debated and then said "Snickers. Snickers are definitely my favorite."
I handed her the dollar and said "Now, here's the deal. Here's my dollar but you can have the Snickers bar."
Her mouth dropped open and she said "Really?? Are you serious??"
"Yep" I replied (apparently seeing her delight made me especially verbose, not!)
"Lucky!" her friend said.
The first girl was beaming. "Thanks! Thanks! Just thanks!!"
"Enjoy your candy and good luck with your sales" I told her.
The girls literally skipped down the sidewalk.
Now, as much fun as it was to surprise this girl, I really did this for myself. You see, S was just selling candy bars for Boy Scouts. He sold about half a box and the rest just sat here. Calling my name, smelling delicious. Saying "Annnnnneeee, come eat me. You know you want to. You can do it. Besides, you'll be supporting the Boy Scouts, it's a good cause. You deserve it. You had a good day (or bad day depending). I am sooo luscious, full of chocolatey goodness." It was really tough to resist.
So when the Boy Scout leader asked if anyone had any candy left because people at her office were begging for some, I gladly (well, mostly gladly) handed the half box over to her.
So, when the girls came to the door, I knew I could not have another temptation sitting in this house. I knew I would be buying a bar but really did not want it in the house.
A small victory, but I'll take it.
Best decision I've made this week.
Easy Gingerbread House | Cooking with my kid
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment