Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

In my quest for healthier foods, I have been adding veggies to as many foods as I can. So, our spaghetti contains carrots (finely ground), mushrooms (also finely ground) and shredded zucchini. In fact, yesterday we had spaghetti squash instead of noodles. I love this, C likes it, S tolerates it and the Hubster eats it. That's a keeper in my book.
But, my favorite 'hidden' veggie so far? My black bean brownies. I use my favorite brownie mix, puree up a can of black beans and combine the two together (no eggs, no oils, just the brownie mix and black beans). Then I rinse the can and put it out in recycling before I get caught, er, I mean to show my commitment to the environment. Ahem....
Bake brownies as directed on the box.
The brownies taste good and are quite fudge-y. Is that a word? Well, it is now in my book. As is fudgalicious, fudgocity and fudge-0-mania. But I digress.
Sprinkle brownies with a dusting of powdered sugar. The kids LOVE these.
They've had a brownie in their lunch every day this week. And I love the idea that they're getting more vitamins and fiber along with the numminess.

No comments: